Saturday, January 24, 2009

CHINESE NEW YEAR EVE
Its the eve of the eve of Chinese New Year. We spent the day packing & throwing out stuff so it didn't surprise me that we were dead tired by the dinner time.We were so busy that we didn't even bother about lunch. Luckily, my mum called us over to have dinner. Its was delicious mee siam. For a first time try, its was scrumptious & sooooo delicious. I tell you ... my mum is one of the best cooks in the world (ok ok I might be exaggerating here but I guess I'm biased!). After that we headed home soon after.

Tomorrow it will be the eve of New Year. This year I'm trying to start a new tradition for my family - I am gonna attempt cooking our own special reunion dinner but it'll probably be a reunion lunch for us (as its more convenient). I wanted to start this tradition because I wanted Ryan to grow up knowing a bit about his Chinese heritage & culture. I feel that its my job as a parent & mother to try my best to inculcate a bit of both worlds into his life. He already has a head start into Malay tradition & culture as we celebrate Hari Raya in full force (courtesy of his mum). So its only right that he grows up being exposed to his Chinese roots. I will try my best to give him exposure, to both of his parents culture, as a child & later on a teenager. As a grown up. the rest is up to him.

I want him to be able to "taste" both cultures and be at ease in both worlds. As a child of mxed parentage, this is his legacy ... and his responsibility.


Here are a few pics I saw on the Net, just to get everyone into the mood for Chinese New Year. If I don't get the chance to wish everyone in person ...

Gong Xi Fa Cai! Happy Lunar New Year!!!
Lots of luck, love, health & prosperity in the Year Of The Ox!!!

No comments: