Saturday, November 7, 2009

IN SO MANY WORDS

Lately, Ryan has been muttering lots of new words & phrases. Well, God knows where he picked up some of these words but some ... are definitely recognisable to me. Why you might ask are they familiar to muah? Errm ... because Ryan ... seem to enjoy "parrot-ing" after his "visibly-stressed-high pitched" Mummy. Yep, he seemed to have picked up some pretty "neat" lingo & figure of speech, courtesy of his Mama. And let me tell you, not everything that comes out of my mouth can be repeated in public or blogland.

Yes, I can have a real potty mouth at times (ok ok, most times) but I refrain from being too "colourful" in public. I'm afraid that Ryan will grow up to be equally as "colourful" as me when it comes to swearing, cursing, etc. I am however, keen for him to be like me (in some ways) - not afraid to voice out my opinions or feelings, being good with words, etc. but I am also afraid that he will turn out like me - usually a lot to say, but not willing to speak out, sometimes.

As a kid, I was rather timid (especially in primary school). That, coupled with being anti-social & a loner, I did not have many close friends then. Ryan displays some of that now ... he can be playful & sociable with people he knows - his extended family, his cousins, friends of the family, but with others, he's seems shy & afraid, distant even ... always hiding behind me (or Hubby) or covering his already small face. He would not even look at strangers (or neighbours) much less talk to them or even bid a cursory hello. Sigh! how can I blame him for being him ... when I was much the same when I was a kid.

Ok ... I'm digressing again. Well, all I wanted to say was ... Ryan's vocab is expanding exponentially & fast. It scares me ... and yet at the same time, it fascinates me. I sometimes wonder what new word will come out of his mouth. Its like a never-ending guessing game for me ... a game that's not about to end anytime soon.

P.S : Will try to update Ryan's Vocab List when I next get the chance.

Can you see his huge Transformers watch? (which he insists on wearing constantly)

No comments: