Saturday, January 3, 2009

Though its already 2009, I just thought I will do up some pics n places we've been, things we were up to ... leading up to the end of 2008. Starting with my recent birthday in December.
Well, Happy Birthday Lynn!!! How does it feel 2 be another year older? Same-O, same-O! This year was a bit bitter-sweet coz most of my extended family members remembered n extended wishes 2 me, which I really appreciated. I guess I sorta expected my good friends to remember but alas they didnt. Well thats life huh? Not that I expected presents or such ... just a simple wish would have been nice. At the end of the day, what can u do when you're insignificant n unimportant ... You can only do so much right? Anyway, it doesn't really bother me coz as I always say, as long as my hubby n son loves me ... thats all that matters 2 me.
Hubby gave me a lovely card (which I always appreciate) n my son clapped while I sang the birthday song, which was so adorable. Ooo! I also got angpows from mum & sis n a GIO voucher from bro. Thank you 2 everyone who remembered my humble birthday .... its always nice to receive gifts but its even nicer 2 be remembered on your special day. I dunno ... maybe I'm just one of those people that really appreciate it if someone remembers my birthday. I don't expect gifts or such nor do I want nor expect any (ahem ... though receiving them is equally nice) ... but a simple greeting or wish really DOES make my day. Why?? Because it reminds me ... that I matter in this world, that I'm just not a "dot", that I am a person worth remembering, that I'm being appreciated & loved.
All in all, its just another birthday ... just another day in my simple life. Oh by the way, my family celebrated my brother's & my birthday, last weekend (our birthdays are just a few days apart!). As usual, we had delicious food (cooked by mum), satay (ordered by sis), cake (bought by me), muffins (baked by bro n sis-in-law). It's always nice 2 have a gathering, just 2 catch up n chit chat, having yummy food n good company. I never fail 2 enjoy our family get-togethers, not so much for the food (which is always delicious), but more for the wonderful n warm company.

In turn, I always make it a point 2 remember other people's birthday, the ones that matter 2 me - my family n friends. I may not have much 2 give nor gifts 2 lavish, but I make it a point 2 at least wish them a wonderful birthday, or a simple card (or a stalk of rose .. hehe!) ... Hey! its a birthday man ... the world should be celebrating that you were born on that day. Though you may feel insignificant, unimportant, unappreciated ... know in your heart that you are still loved, cared, and remembered on your special day, the day that you were born, many many years ago.

I guess thats why even though we are not able to give Ryan a grand birthday, its still important to me that we make it special. Surrounded by family, good food n cake, I just wanna make it special for him. When Ryan's all grown up, I hope he will look back n recall, ALL his birthdays ... marked in print, etched in memory ... the celebration of his beautiful life, that he will have fond memories of them n that mummy n daddy always tried their darnest 2 make it special for him.
As I get older, I now realise how important my immediate n extended family are 2 me. No matter what happens, they will always be there for you, through thick & thin. They are not fair-weather friends that are there for you when they feel like it, they are there for you till the end. Blood is thicker than water, I guess the sayings' SO right. Why did it take me soooo long to see that ... I don't know. Its silly, isn't it! Sometimes you put so much effort, time, love ... caring n worrying about other people but they never even bother about you. You thought that you mean something to someone but its just a mirage ... or maybe, its just wishful thinking. Hhmmm ... que sera, sera .... whatever, will be ... will be!

Having said that, here are some pics of my extended family celebrating my brother's n my birthday in December 2008. Thanks 2 my family for celebrating my special day with me!


No comments: