Lately Ryan has taken a liking to chicken floss buns, purchased at a small heartland bakery (called Champion Bread, which is Halal certified). Its pretty tasty & reasonably priced. So this budget-conscious Mummy was thinking of ways to be thrifty (whenever she can) & yet let her son "indulge" in his tasty favs.
So I came up with this idea of spreading mayo (thinly) on normal white bread & sprinkling a generous layer of chicken floss, before toasting them in the toaster oven. The trick is to lightly toast them though, to mimic the store-bought buns ... as I later found out, coz Ryan rejected my first try of the un-toasted chicken floss sandwich. Oh well, you live & learn!
The trick to all of this of course is to find Halal Chicken Floss in tiny Singapore. Well, its like finding a 4-carat diamond ring, on the sidewalk ... virtually unheard of! Months earlier, I read in a local magazine "HALAL" that a shop in Singapore selling all sorts of dendeng (barbequed meat) products, also stocks up on this elusive floss. So off we went searching for it. We went to an industrial estate in Woodlands to find their factory outlet ... duh! they moved! So we went to their shop in the early morning of a Sunday - damn! they weren't opened. Arrgh! it seemed like finding this chic floss was akin to winning a lucky draw - so bl**dy tough! Finally we managed to get the prized floss after dropping by the place in the early afternoon - well they better be opened (which they did). Coincidentally, the damn floss ain't cheap ... duh! why am I not surprised!
Which brings us to the following pics. They were taken in the Malay Village in Geylang Serai (that's where the shop is located). We were going round & round (like sweating idiots) & it didn't help that it was the fasting month! We chanced upon these kerbaus (water buffaloes). I can't help but prop my son on them, for a photo op.
These were also taken in Geylang Serai, at the newly renovated market & hawker centre. As it was the fasting month, most of the makan stalls were not opened in the morning. As my niece, Ayra & my son, Ryan were not fasting (kids ... so lucky), they had to be fed ... some kind of food. The adults (both my parents, Hubby & me) looked on (rather wistfully) as the kids savoured a shared plate of local chicken rice. Hhmm .... a lot of the passer-bys looked at us ... like we were the ones eating (tssk! tssk!). Hey people! kids have to eat right? ... even if the adults were fasting, we still need to feed the hungry children ... DUH!!!
The 2 kids are (mostly) game to pose, whenever I asked them for a pic. Here they are, in front of an unopened shopfront. Haha, yep I am soooo "imaginative" when it comes to photo opportunities. Anywhere, is game for me! ... as long as I get cute & adorable photos, I don't really care when or where its taken. I really don't, I tell you! As (equally) evident below, these pics were taken in the middle of the newly constructed over-head bridge that connects the new market to the popular Joo Chiat Complex. I find the weirdest place to snap a pic ... yes, I can be so anal ... in that way! Double haha!
No comments:
Post a Comment